11/1/22 Meeting Notes

Attendees:  Dr. Susan Cain, Ross Dickmann, Renee Forte, Tony Marques, and Kathleen O’Connor.


  • Ross reported that we formerly used SOP, but when we took on PowerDMS we went to Standards & Policies (written by corporate level).
  • Dr. Cain & Kathleen will review the standards within PowerDMS (they will review at a community level to review the standards; this is more of a process to follow).  The policy is an overarching umbrella for the organization.
  • Dr. Cain and Kathleen will review PowerDMS this week and provide their feedback to this team.
  • The website has been updated.  They updated useful back-end information to assist everyone.
  • Discovery Materials:  Dr. Cain and Kathleen rearranged articles, hospitality details, shared a digital book with a page turn template, data collection, etc.  We could make it a downloadable book, or a standard format where people click on the information (or both).  We are reviewing all options.
  • Dr. Cain, Tony, and Kathleen discussed what the categories look like within PowerDMS. 
    • The format Dr. Cain and Kathleen proposed is similar to the PowerDMS format we currently utilize.
    • Topics would be addressed in more of a conversation vs. what a policy looks like.
      • It can somewhat define the writing style.
      • Describe the parameters vs. how much is too much, and how much is too little.
      • The optics – What does it look like?
      • A corporate policy format will be a turn off.  Although it is necessary, and we already have it, we do not want to replicate it.
      • Visually a nice overview.  Clearly define what the objectives are in every single topic. What is the expectation? 
      • Kathleen and Dr. Cain are working on a look for displaying the information.
      • PowerDMS is probably where we will want the documents to live.
      • The documents will be placed together once an Intranet is built.
      • A link would be made available as partners search for a key word; it will link into PowerDMS to find the policy. 
      • You have to search within PowerDMS; Tony had hoped they had an integration for searching, but they do not.
  • Action This Week:  Ross will create 4-5 questions as to what each subject should answer (a skeleton of what it should look like).
  • The Task Force team will need to verify the information is highly valuable to them for quick referencing.
  • Action:  Ross will work with a few of his Functional Leaders and take three subjects that are completely unrelated. Example:  HR/IT/Dining – so that we can get a sampling of three entirely different worlds, and how that information is built with what level of detail.
  • Differences between a standard template and a set of questions to go out to each department. 
    • Break it down to smaller categories for that specific area.
  • Action:  Ross will lay out 3-5 objectives that every single topic should be able to address.  One of them won’t necessarily refer you to PowerDMS since those areas may not have a policy within DMS. (Would you like to gain more information on this topic, go to….).  Some items may not have additional information to go to.
  • We should probably use PowerDMS for a SharePoint in the future to utilize. 
    • This is a visual to utilize in one place. 
    • A website could also be utilized.
    • Tony confirmed the documentation will live in PowerDMS.
    • If we have any need for website processing we can look at Moorings Park for $7,000, or Debbie of CLI at half the price. 
    • This would be a link anyone could access. 
    • Tony is researching an Intranet we could partner with so that all employees could access the data via cell phone. 
    • A standard Intranet is used via p.c.  For those partners who do not utilize a p.c., this would be beneficial for them to utilize their cell phones.
    • This Intranet may be something else than SharePoint due to the need to utilize it via mobile device.  Tony is further researching.
    • Action:  Kathleen will update the Discovery Brief.  This is like a research document we are benchmarking companies with.  Kathleen will embed the same definitions as in the handout.
    • Dr. Cain and Kathleen could easily build a landing page.
    • This will give us the green light to finalize the Task Force members. Following, it would be a value to have Dr. Cain present to the team.
    • Research Brief will be deliverable by November 15, 2022.
    • Standards of Excellence Project Introduction Meeting Outline – Meetings could be held in the MPOC Auditorium. 
      • Select partners will meet for a brief introduction to the Standards of Excellence Project. 
      • Partners will learn the goal of the program, the phases of the project, their important role in the project, and the project timeline.
  • Action:  Dr. Cain will review the D.I.C.E. Process from Boston Consulting.  This is an effective way of navigating through change management.  Moorings Park did it back in 2017; introduced to us by a consultant. 
    • Ross is a big believer in the D.I.C.E. Process.
    • All the people on the Task Force become champions. 
    • Ross thinks once you have a potential framework, and you know where you want to go with it, the D.I.C.E. Process is easy to sell and buy-into it. 
    • Dr. Cain may have another program that may be just as effective as the D.I.C.E. Process.
    • The D.I.C.E. process may help partners get accustomed to new formatting of emails (fonts/colors/etc.).
  • Timelines
    • We are good on our timelines. 
    • CLI is using their time wisely. 
  • Collection of Data
    • CLI will research how to gather data: Interviews for data dump. 
    • Interviewing and surveying people and place the information into a data dump area. 
    • Data may be placed into ShareFile. 
    • We need a dictated letter that asks for the three ways of gathering data:  Personal interview, through the template partners will complete, and dump the information into ShareFile.
    • ShareFile will have dedicated areas for departments and sub-departments.  Kathleen started creating directories which were reviewed during today’s meeting.
  • Partner Meeting
    • We will need documentation / instructions for the partner meeting for an overview of the ShareFile.
    • We will need to steer the partners. 
    • Ross envisions he will sit down with the executive level partners and ask what topics/sub-topics should be included.
    • Most frequently addressed topics that drive everyday / what we do. 
    • We need those topics defined and put into sub-topics.  Example:  Dining / Front of the House – Dining Room Servers; Table Arrangements, etc. 
    • We want to summarize that formalized documentation is available; we do not want to rewrite the policies.
    • We can build a template, so it draws information out of the partners.
    • We must select the topics for the executive level partners.
  • Action:  Kathleen will go into PowerDMS and create a bulleted list (volume/selection).
    • We are not trying to duplicate or replicate PowerDMS. 
    • Most of it, or a good portion of it is outdated. 
    • Ross will ensure whatever information is collected is not duplicated within PowerDMS.
    • The policies will need to be updated within PowerDMS. 
    • Role Ross will Play:  He will play the sounding board if there is too much information per section.
    • It will surface areas that this company will need policies in that we do not currently have policies available.  It will force us to look at ourselves.  This will be a journey over a period of time.
    • The toughest part of this project is where do we stop?  We do not want it to become a technical manual.
    • QRS – Quick Response Sheet. Where to go to access quick information.
  • Delivery – Final Project Delivered:  The proposed date is currently May 15, 2023, although Dr. Cain feels we can wrap this project up in March 2023.
  • Discovery – Complete Master List of Best Practices:  Anticipated completion date is December 20, 2022.  Who is involved in each of these actions?  Do we have our categories?
    • Threshold:

o   Task Force Orientation / data gathering sharing.

o   Launching the survey after all participants have been briefed via Teams or Zoom. 

o   Ross envisions in the auditorium for the zoom call would be the Task Force members:  Two persons per subject category area (if an area is more policy driven, we will have one partner in that area).

o   Action:  Ross is identifying the key players. 

o   Action:  Ross will provide the information to Dr. Cain & Kathleen any time now and will establish a date/time.

o   We have fifteen subject areas; therefore, there will be a group of thirty.  This size could be increased, but we do not want too many thoughts. 

o   Those subject matter experts would come from each of the campuses for a cross-blend. 

  • Timeline: Action:  Dr. Cain will amend the timeline. We are closer to designing the survey.
    • We are ready to receive information on the task force members.
    • Ready to receive date/time of auditorium meetings.
    • Ready to build out presentation and survey for data gathering.
    • Dr. Cain offered an aspirational date for the auditorium meeting would be the end of November / early December.
    • Action:  Terri will liaison to harness all the people to attend the sessions.
    • We would not stream the meetings, but we can record and do a Teams meeting.
    • Partners can access the recording through ShareFile, or we may provide a link to CLI.
    • Ross is extremely optimistic about this project. 
    • Once we get into a rhythm the program will progress quickly.
  • Calendar:  Action:  Dr. Cain Kathleen will meet to update the calendar and send it to the team.
    • Dr. Cain wants to reconfigure what the end product will look like.
  • Action:  Tony and Dr. Cain will schedule time to go over the PowerDMS site to see what can be uploaded. 
    • The end goal is a simple but powerful document. 
    • Dr. Cain needs more visual information from Tony. 
    • Dr. Cain needs to understand where this is going ultimately on PowerDMS. 
    • The document needs to be visually simple, so it does not look like a policy. 
    • Documentation needs to be simple to understand. 
    • It needs to have photographs and color on the pages where you are looking for documents. 
    • Photographs and color on the pages cannot be done on PowerDMS cannot.  The only customization we can do is to put our logo into PowerDMS which is already there. 
    • This is Ross’ only concern since it looks like a tech manual, more like a policy. 
    • All referrals will not go to PowerDMS, partners will be directed to other avenues for further information. 
    • We may be able to put a URL into the documents within PowerDMS.  Within a PDF we can do pictures, add links, etc. 
    • We would have more flexibility with an Intranet tool.
    • Money will be the next hurdle.
  • Action:  Ross, Tony, Dr. Cain, and Kathleen will have a future meeting with Dan to share our vision.  We need something that is reader-friendly and appealing, not a tech manual.
    • Action:  Terri will work with Ross on scheduling a date for the team to meet with Dan.
  • The information will not all go into PowerDMS, it will go onto multiple areas. 
  • Tony will have move information next week following his discussion with the developer.  If we cannot do a mobile app we may have to utilize a different tool via Intranet.
  • Tony, Renee, and Ross will meet to put together 3-4 topics/sub-topics with graphics. They will build it and put into an Intranet page as a sample for Dan to visualize.  Action:  Terri will coordinate a meeting for next week.


Closing Comments:  Good discussion today.  Ross feels very optimistic following today’s meeting.  We are starting to get a good visual as to what the project is going to look like.


August- 10/11/22 Meeting Notes


1. Standardizations

  1. Create alignment among standards of different locations

    i. Need to start with finding data on discrepancies bw locations

  2. Okay with some variations but there needs to be a baseline

  3. Standards of practice policy document created that’s accessible and relevant to

    all positions/roles

  4. Emphasis on customer experience

  5. Make digitally accessible

2. Culture Creation
a. Create a culture around ‘operating philosophy’

i. ‘Next level’ of operation philosophy

  1. One-liner summary of purpose (emphasis of facilities of fine hotel)

  2. Recognize what we are doing at different properties and for what reasons

    i. Affirm who people are but confirm some standards

  3. Education element beyond the concepts

3. Job description document

  1. Document to create standards

    i. Emphasis on a core of standards
    ii. Standards for each category of job description

  2. Education element beyond concepts

  3. Consolidation of operational information that sets expectations”

  4. The two deliverables are:

    1. Platform, comprehensive
    2. Framework for each subject and what is expected of the organization. How do we do this in a very general sense, who is accountable, and where do I find further information?

    (Less is better. This is not an employee handbook. This is for the operators. It is a framework- i.e. dress and attire, you have flexibility- but here is what you cannot change)

– Operating Philosophy
– Standards of practice
– Core of standards
– Maintenance philosophy – QRS, a hub
– Resort style living
– Life-long learning

  • –  Next level of operation philosophy

  • –  Critical brand issues vs optional brand


  • –  Standards of conduct

  • –  TQM (Total quality management)

  • –  Brand standard

  • –  Brand identification

– Find out about ‘Cp1’
– Find out about SMEs- How many is this survey going out to? Are we also doing

interviews? Need to gather a contact list
– Still thinking about including legal docs like release forms?

Full Notes:

Creating a standardization of all business practices across regions

All business within a 4-mile radius- want standards – Dress and appearance as example
– Concierge with communication skills
– Consistency and uniformity

– Professionalism defined
– Specific look and appearance
– Important to be aligned and unified not replicated

Ross creating list of priorities to

  • –  Draft standards of practice

    Goal of

  • –  Any position in the company knowing where to go for policy

  • –  FMLA- family medical leave act

  • –  Started with focus on operations

  • –  Important to also focus on human capital, human resources

  • –  Operations

    o The customer experience from the second they pull up to the gate
    o What’s our philosophy on maintaining the ground, the concierge, the drive-

    up gate, what is the look and the appearance, what are the facilities and how do we maintain them

    § For detailed information go to this file

  • –  Resort style living

  • –  Lifelong learning

  • –  Dementia

    o These are all subjects that have experts on their subjects



o The current document they have been doing has shown inconsistencies in what was offered and what is really happening

  • –  Sue- let’s get the data on where we are finding discrepancies

  • –  Ross- In the example of a dining room

    o There can be differences among the locations but there needs to be a minimum established

§ Here is the standard
– Everything will be accessible with iPads that are provided to their manager.

-Someone else involved who would be a part of interior design as a co-consultant
– Guiding the standard that go into all details including art, fragrances, signatures


  • –  Surveys

  • –  One-on-ones

  • –  What are the overall standards

-Everything is digital

o Recognize what we are doing at different properties and for what reasons § Affirm who people are but confirm some standards

Raptor Bay
Ross states the new property will be London Bay, Moorings, and the Ritz Carlton (Ritz Residence)

– Need a culture on operating philosophy o Need a summary

o Need to build this out
o In 2025- Here is the framework, not proprietary

§ Late 2024 for this project
§ Important not to let interruptions stall us

-Moorings at Diamond Dining -Create a document

– Document to create a standards
– emphasis a core of standards and make specifics for each category of job position
-Ross- Here is how we achieve it and you can find the information here

-There needs to be an education element beyond just concepts

Sue- The toolkit

  • –  Should be core concepts followed by further details per each category of job

  • –  Renee input- That next level of operation philosophy

o Case study of managing by Cue
o Play with that concept within your own community and the differences that



Ross- Exercise innovation

  • –  Facilities of a fine hotel

    o Example: “Everything Works”
    o Create a one-liner that sums up the purpose and everyone knows it

  • –  We will create a proposal and send over next week

    -Ross says it looks really good

    – in my free time I have put together all of the topics that will go into it

  • –  For his facilities department started writing about how to address it
    o If you were a relatively new executive, where could you go to learn the

    general operation. Outside of the granular level
    o A ‘one-policy’ book of the key components of what we do

    § Managing buildings- cleaning and maintenance § Maintenance of the property and look
    § Personal etiquette
    § Communication skills

  • –  MP now is three properties
    o The newest property will go off on a tangent, when they are told that

    something has been a standard for 40 years – when managers ask where to

    find the policies and the only place there is to go is in Ross’s head

  • –  Important to get the script done, get it in the right language, then create a beautiful

    and professional presentation
    o Sue- it wants to live virtually, it’s a hub,

o a QRS (quick response)

– How often do we paint our buildings?

– How often do we change our roofing tiles in southwest Florida?
o We don’t have to live by this, but for further details look to the facilities

management standards and guidelines

o We are not writing a tech manual; we are educating how this should run

o Sue- could this be plugged in our vendors and what we need to do, review my area of the hub and do a yearly check in

o Ritz-Carlton does this, see their CP1
§ Being virtual will make this an easier process to check in on and kept


– We do not want to overdo the policies
o We want employees to have freedom and creativity to figure out how to do

o Some things can be managed at the local level and don’t need a spot on this o It is an overarching policy

  • –  Other examples: dining, formal dining, casual dining, wine programs

    From an HR mindset:

  • –  Instead of a bigger and bigger manual

    o Let’s capture things that are daily expectations for HR managers

  • –  Sue presented Railroad Standards and Practices manual document list o This is a 411 document, but too granular for MP’s needs
    o All call

    § Standards and practices and procedures in one place

    § Even cross reference the doc #s with the policy
    o Ross- good to get away from the boring looking government files

    § Let it be nice to look at

  • –  Ross- very important to make this document used
    o It will be a campaign and a process to introduce this o Nice to roll this out in pieces

    § Create nice categories to take it on: § Building operations
    § Comm skills

    o This will become a framework that managers can take on build off o We appreciate differences and freedom of our locations

Brand Standard*

  • –  Marriott and CP1

  • –  Ross on writing style
    o Less technical in approach

  • –  Sue- maybe creating energy around posting core policies to a centralized place and going out from that

  • –  Ross
    o Needs to create a list of SMEs so CLI has list of who to go to for interviews

  • –  Timeline
    o Could be 2023 but would be nice to be sooner to start.
    o Let’s have this project, the bulk of the work done in 2023

  • –  Renee asked if there was something that has a 2022 deadline so we can introduce a general template to share

    o Sue: we also need people to get on, requesting information from people that will have to happen in advance

  • –  Sue: Succession planning with data gathering

  • –  Sue: This template will help with data collection and can help create deadlines to get people started on what we are looking for

  • –  Data goes into template, and we make it into something useful that

  • –  Ross- what is the timeline for getting this information: could we try to get it by the end of the year

o Renee- we need to prioritize so we aren’t blasting this all out to everyone o Ross- we need to define the big groups – they may be matched up to the

departments- but subgroups will come out of those groups
§ This is where the template comes in, in collecting from these

§ For example: dining: the dining plan (how does it work, what types of

restaurants, how are these restaurants staffed, how do they function) What does formal dining mean, what does casual mean?

o Renee- brand identification- what do we want to be sure to protect § What tells you that you are at MP

Capture that in look of everything -lady/men’s rooms. Scents etc

  • –  Example – Formal – fine china but not the exact brand, fine glassware, fine silverware but some room for what that is

    o Grab-and-go
    o Casual dining
    o Continental breakfast

  • –  Sue/Ross- show what is a critical brand issues, optional brand issue etc
    o Maybe it could be a medallion system of what can be flexibility or what is a

    brand standard that cannot be changed.

    Ross- educating, setting standards, defining brand standards that we don’t want to be messed with, and were creating latitude for locations to figure out their location

S.O.P.s or Policies

  • –  Ross- Operations S.O.P- authorization for a service animal vs a therapy o Must go off the ADA and is in depth

    § This book will not go over it but it will say what the rule is but see the technical book for further information on this topic

  • –  Sue- could we have employees a part of this on creating input in a sort of ‘holding tank’. We could create to continue to be updated

  • –  Example- what is the scenario for when someone passes in independent living o There are 2 scenarios – Unaccompanied

    o Or accompanied this is how either of these are handled

  • –  The iPad should allow these topics to be highly searchable

  • –  Sue opportunities for training, onboarding, ‘everything goes there’

  • –  Ross: what do you do if you encounter a hostile guest
    o What is the list of steps we take here down to the details but not too


  • –  Consistency is important

– Ross- hard part is this is oversight and general information without becoming a technical manual

n One area we are not going is health care- it is regulatory- driven by Medicaid o We will not go there

o We are talking softness of hospitality

– We need to come together and talk further about the timeline
o What are these blocks or categories that we are breaking this down into?

§ Wellness, security,
o Let’s talk about the next steps of the process

§ Are these called phases?
How will we go about these steps?

– Ross opened up Grand Lake and are doing an assessment
o Man injured himself and he was contacting his attorney

§ He didn’t sign a form because this campus didn’t know about this form

People need to sign proper releases

o Sue- let’s make these available through a click – Sue – what is the receptacle

o Is this drobox? Where does this go o Who’s involved?
o What is the template
o Howindepthdoyouwanttogo

o Ross important to break this down into phases, will sit down and write a lot of this because these topics don’t have an ‘owner’

o Important to create a roadmap to follow

§ Sue- this is an elegant checklist, streamlined

  • –  Sue- why don’t you do this internally?

    o Ross- this can be creatively done and received as an inviting piece of education

    § Need someone on the outside

  • –  Let’s let this live 15-20 years

  • –  Sue- we need the tech team front and center

    o POWER DMS** Look this up- filing system § Document management system

§ Workflows

§ Power DMS University
o Days of manuals in your bookshelf are over, it belongs in an iPad, smart


  • –  Ross- we need someone to tell me what this is going to be- is it DropBox? What’s it going to be

    o Renee and ross will work on rough template to send to Sue and K

    o Let’s get clear on what the topics are- How many, 6,7?

  • –  Sue- would like to get an idea of timeline and think about deliverables

o We can get started, make some traction before the end of the year o Let’s build excitement around it

§ Ross- Maybe a few samples on a PowerPoint presentation Local campaign, let’s get people a visual on this

o Ross will find out what the hours look like and what the process will be and the details

§ Sue will start thinking about team and process on her end Data-discovery

What are the standards in each area?
o Ross- we will not need a lot of data mining, CLI will be more involved in the

format, the artistic side and how this is going to be presented. Need to keep

us in the middle ground of vagueness and over policy
o Renee- Let’s be aware of how people will feel about setting regulations

§ Ross- this is about corporate policy, and we will approve these as we go

Terri will reach out and set up timelines to get back together

Ross will have
– Estimate of how many hours this will be
– Will work with Renee on the process of this
– Get started on a template and present it
– Where will we drop all of this information

Sue and Kathleen
– Educate ourselves on Power DMS

Terri ca
Ross- the approach of the proposal was great and can be worked with, it was accurate

  • –  I have taken some time over the course of the past few weeks to figure out how we could gather information from the dept heads

  • –  I will have to get with the owners of the organization and present to them what we are doing here

  • –  Perhaps Ross could help Sue draw more of a conclusion for the owners

  • –  He has also been working at an excel sheet that helps show us the magnitude of the

    information that will need to be gathered

  • –  Ross is ready to get started in earnest

    Sue – I can start work on this a week after next

– Ok, what would be the pieces that we would be responsible for, what are the


Ross- A book, binder, manual, guide- “a consolidation of operational information that sets expectations”

Sue- Is PowerDMS the vehicle? Ross-It is more of a data base

  • –  Everything we do will tie into more granular policies that will be stored into

    Powerdms but I don’t know that everything that this project entails will need to go

    into power dms

  • –  The digital format of the guide, book needs to be accessible to supervisor and above

    Sue- it wants to be intuitive, it wants to be pleasurable to go into it and it should live easily accessible

    The two deliverables are
    1. Platform, comprehensive

    2. Framework for subject and what is expected of organization, how do we do this in a very general sense and who is accountable and where do I find further information

    (This can be used as a test to run each section through)
    – Less is better. This is not an employee handbook. This is for the operators. It is a framework- i.e. dress and attire, you have flexibility- but here is what you cannot change

  • –  The HR component doesn’t need to be about time off etc.
    o It should be ethical conduct, conflict of interest, gifts

    § This is something we need to operationalize each and every day

  • –  A QRS- quick response sheet to find quick information

    o Terri will be sending the Marriott book -The QRS can be standards of conduct

  • –  Sue- does this have a series of downloadable that supervisors can pull information from for employees

  • –  Ross- building management- inspections and surveys- operating at compliance

    o Could this be a checklist of things required for these inspections- appearance, chemical storage, etc – are you in compliance

  • –  Sue- time and prioritization
    o Must do, can do, do when time allows
    o Make this extremely readable and prioritized by importance of standards

  • –  Ross- brevity is your friend- no fog around expectations

  • –  MP requires, expects, anticipates

  • –  Sue- different locations require different things and that’s a fact of life and we don’t want this to turn into an element of fairness

  • –  Ross- there needs to be a review process with the team, may be things that look great in paper but they are not realistic

    o Say for example MP becomes a national company, If we are in locations where standards become more impractical or not fitting, that is fine, but while we are all in south Florida, things should stay more cohesive

  • –  Sue- pageable download, can download a quick guide, but also a site- let’s display the documents different ways

  • –  Ross- lets look at operators

o Your communities are too dependent of HR resources – could be something as simple as completing a form- we are sending emails and texts and follow ups – Executive Directors should have a very clear guide of what they are responsible for without taking the unnecessary time

§ The guide would say- The Ep should be able to accomplish and will do the following

§ The Executive producer will do the following and will not do the following

– Sue- what are CLI next steps
o Ross- what are the tools we need to go out to seek the information with o We as a group need to nail down what topics we want to address

§ Ross needs to hold a meeting with VPs, Eps
If we get them to agree, we need to confirm a tool- then we

send all of the groups what they need to complete and by when- Then what happens to these files- Sharefile bank? How will they be accessed and how (systematically)

o This is more about what Sue and Kathleen find useful on our end

  • Sue- We need Ross to delineate these areas- maybe it is a Dropbox scenario – here is a high-level Description of what the project is – Maybe D. Giese can make this a website that people can go in

  • Ross- there is no reason to go out and contact department heads for things that are non-negotiable, standard items

    o Ross- good example- differences among the spa- differences in amenities of mouthwash, cologne etc in one location, where another location is missing all of this and does not have even personalized tissue (standard)

  • –  Ross will use this information to help build budgets

  • –  There can be an element of budget worked in- but that should live in PowerDMS not in the guide- what do people do if they don’t have the budget

  • –  We don’t want to take things away from people we just want to set standards

  • –  Sue- how do we gather information

    o Make a form/template and groups can send that into Dropbox o Ross will send the departments manuals

  • –  Sue- do we sector it by property or by functional area?

o Ross, we have a senior director at each property- we could send the

information gathering tool and have the director assigned with gathering the

information of functional areas
o Or Ross could assemble a task force or 3-4 people who gather the

information among the functional departments
o Sue- could this task force be used as a resource to tap if data is not being

submitted as requested
o Ross- yes they can be disciplinarians but they are policing themselves
o Sue- Do we want this task force involved in an internal train- the-trainer

§ Ross- the training and L&D component is past my scope – ‘Let’s build the house and how it is occupied is a step past that’

o Sue- there needs to be an element of connecting this to people, and if it doesn’t than it could become unused

Sue- The steps
1. The data gathering- are we active with MP on this phase?

a. Ross- yes, finalize and polish the tool – this could be simple feedback

  1. Setting up a location to drop the information whether Sharefile etc.

  2. We need to finalize a list- what are the functional areas and what are the topics

  1. Next step is getting the leaders together and explaining the project

  2. How do we send out information- is it a task force, is it to locations?

  • –  Sue- what if we were seen as co-owner of the project, and we help with deadlines and calendar creation. What if we were owners of the ongoing meeting structure

    o We found out more information and we would like to gather more data – we should include the task force to have regularly scheduled meetings to get their information- and later on they will be used to distribute information- they can be used long-term over the course of the project

  • –  Ross- Sue and Kathleen will need to put on their TQM hats and keep people from veering off track too far. Facilitators need to keep people on track

  • –  Ross- Sue will manage Ross too – Ross needs to keep an open mind to not suppressing ideas, innovation, free-thinking or else this guide of standardization will not succeed

  • –  Mather- very well-run organization (Brother organizations with MP) o The most wealthy of NFP CCRC

o Most closely aligned property to MP o Innovators- break new ground

o How do we measure effectiveness – Novare / Mather- § HERB Koehler- Ross hero

– Sue we want to have a document put together in two weeks
o Let’s make a document that helps fortify the concept- maybe this could be a

PowerPoint presentation- ross could create a PowerPoint framework and we can polish it and make a Q&A section, element to develop it

– Renee- will be key collaborator –
o Ross- particularly- absorption – can and are people using this

– Kathleen will look into Mather, Novare, The American Club – Koehler Wisconsin


Ross is happy with the SOW- he has signed off and is ready to pay first invoice when we are ready.

Let Terri know Kathleen has been hired on at 20-25 hours a week and Sue is on for 20 hours until May


  • –  No later than July to be locked in is the preference


  • –  We are doing some research on what is the most efficient way to receive information

    from different departments- and how can we quickly look at the data

  • –  Should we take Ross questions and plug them into Google?


  • –  Once we figure out our template and our model for data gathering it will become

    smoother and we can plug in information more easily

  • –  Ross is interested in the artistic side of this

  • –  We have to come to agreement on language and grammatical technique


    What we’re trying to accomplish does exist at other companies

– It is the who, what,> it offers education and sets expectations

Timelines- weekly calls
Set call for next week
There will be a period of Rock management- but we will know it when we see it

Want to establish a small group of those that really care (Co-Advisors amongst friends)

  • –  Ross- let’s bring on Randy- Former professor from West Point

  • –  And then we have task forces, who are going to be – That should include the Executive Directors of each of the locations – they will have their own opinions- we want them to be on board with us for this


    We need a sales plan – what if you had an accessible, one-click approach to run an optimal show- Let’s bring people on at the ground floor

    Ross- Let’s come up with a catchy way to sell the mission of this A one-stop shopping quide – A QRS (quick response)

  • –  As far as procurement:

  • –  “For further information see this…”

    Dan- key part of this- we will give him monthly updates

– He will sell it as a standard for all other high end similar companies

Marketing plan that manages up, manages down

  • –  We have a marketing and branding specialist at MP – they will be a part of this- they are very knowledgable on branding

  • –  Ross is the content person

  • –  What does a standard email look like – it needs to look consistent throughout the organization – a template that people can grab and go

  • –  (For inside the organization this is what you use, this is what you use for outside the organization)

    Graphic Designer- Ross thinks we will need some creativity – this can go to D. Giese and then it can be reviewed

    Ross- We will get some pushback from some leaders- they feel like they created this and they won’t want to see the change

– This may be tied to 2023 performance evaluations of these leaders Ross will come up with a marketing slogan for us to review and think of

Moorings Park 10/13/22
Sue, Ross, Kathleen Via Zoom


  • –  Send Ross a document, a FORM to brainstorm on to find out about how groups

    should systematically go together (with a couple of representatives SMEs from each group)

    o Facility & Buildings & Landscape/Grounds o Hospitality& Dining

  • –  Send link to ross

    Stakeholders / managers

    Go out with the “book” and aim our surveys with that

    Need to organize this thoroughly

    Task force can help draw the line

– Ross knows who these people will be

Define Standards of excellence- what do we want everyone in our organization to know about it

  • –  Create a search function- alphabetize and cross-reference

  • –  One place to go for emergency response – hurricane etc. what are the steps- water, clothes, for further detailed information which is reviewed by the county, and it is located here (we can link this)

  • –  DIRECTORY- what software do we make to have this be searchable

  • –  – Debi call needed on this- maybe tomorrow?

  • –  This project, document will be both searchable and readable front to back

  • –  75% quartile of what is needed to keep this engine running

  • –  Would we want to create documents under each of these topics of here is your bi- annual/quarterly checklist of what is required under specific sections

  • –  Taskforce= is this across organization? Cross-functional and Cross-organization

o All three campuses need to participate
§ Each of the topics we need at least 1 or 2 representatives of each

(dining, wellness, buildings- from the ‘book’ sheet) § Ross has Reps in mind for each of these sections

o Think of this as a ‘brain-dump’ for Ross in the details of the rules- the exceptions, etc.

§ For example- Hurricanes- say we fill up our generator this many times a year typically- BUT because weather patterns have changed is they should be topped off at the beginning of hurricane season rather than at the beginning of November that specific etc

§ Ross- This should not limit managers- they should still be able to make decisions and practice smart decision-making skills

– We might allow for 5 calls a week
o We might have 5 different groups

§ Set ground rules on how we use that time (1 hour)- That would be good for Ross

o *We need to think about melding groups- which functional areas should join each other- The number of groups should be dictated by common sense

o Ross will reach out to leadership guidance on who to have as our SMEs

Attendees: Dr. Susan Cain, Ross Dickmann, Renee Forte, and Kathleen O’Connor.

  • Dr. Cain and Kathleen shared their new robust website.

  • A full agenda was created for today’s meeting (see attachment).

  • Good progress has been made to date.

  • Moorings Park “Book” Review (see attachment). This document was originally sent on behalf of

    Ross containing schedule information. This was an early attempt to create sub-groups of our main topics (there is nothing in the document pertaining to healthcare; we do not have the latitude to define it since it is owned by the State government). This is how we operate as a professional organization. This is not all inclusive, these are all topics. If we went out with an informational gathering form to our stakeholders, they would probably focus on these areas. This could be the start of our directory. We would ask for data collection from each of these areas. This was done by memory, just “off the cuff” by Ross. Eventually, the hard part here is drawing a line; the Task Force will assist with this. Ross needs to ensure the Task Force has a “check in balance” with this task. We want to alphabetize and cross-reference.

o Have a separate document that pertains to quarterly accountability under each of the topics (definitive informative guides stating what the standards are).

o Action: Dr. Cain will create/send a form to Ross for review.
o Action: Dr. Cain and Kathleen will find a software driven application to have a standard

directory document for cross-referencing (so partners may search for information). o Action: Ross will verify if any areas need to be added into the MP “Book” Review.

Task Force:
o People will vet incoming information and make recommendations. o Cross-functional and cross-organization will apply.
o The group members collectively equal the Task Force.

page17image62934064 page17image62940928

o The Task Force must be very clear on their goals.
o We need to be structured in what we expect of the Task Force; we want to impower and

o The Task Force needs to know what they are providing is of great value. o All three campuses will participate in this.

§ Facilities (1-2 senior managers/directors); manager or senior manager from EHS (housekeeping/laundry); dining services; 1-2 leaders in successful aging and wellness. Ross has had discussions with these key stakeholders.

  • Hold smaller calls with the Task Force? Yes, this would be of value.

  • Set a general standard.

  • We want to set fundamental standards and pick their brains, so they exercise good judgement.

  • Each campus will see things a bit differently. Some things will be unique per property.

  • We will have weekly calls as we develop the program.

o Could have five calls per week with five different groups. Ross confirmed multiple groups is fine for 1-hour sessions. The meetings will be agenda driven.

o Melding groups to join each other and which should not? They will be subject matter experts who know the process, as well as the correct way of doing things.

o Action: Kathleen will send a document asking Ross to advise of which groups may be put together.

o Action: Ross will send the “Book” to the most senior department heads asking what major topics he has left off, and to nominate two people they would recommend being the very best representatives. After those representatives have been identified, we will schedule a Zoom meeting to explain a story of what we are doing.

Progress Made on Project Website: o The site is available 24/7.

o The site is a work in progress.
o Ross commended Kathleen for a job well done!
o Kathleen shared a Project Timeline (articles – example from Kohler, John Hopkins,

Mather, Hospitality School of Cornell; academic & scholarly publications; examples of great organizational culture guides; and other kinds of manuals/guides); Discovery Materials; MP Working Documents (made through Google. Kathleen built forms in this section with surveys).

o It will be a 24/7 catchall for everyone to view.
o We should use the easiest survey form which is Google. We have some time on this. o Debbie has asked for a meeting with the MP Web Developer.
o We could host this on the MP website with an access code for the users.
o Next step is to build a table.
o Action: Kathleen will send a link to the website to Ross.

page18image62933648 page18image62934896